Sunday 13 January 2013

Charlie cat: The trap was set!



One day Puss Puss was brave enough to follow me back to our house in the hope of seconds but his courage ran out half way as he scurried off under a bush. From then on I would see how far he would come towards our house when I had food in his bowl to entice him; each day he would venture a little closer until one day he came into our front garden to eat his supper, very timid at first, jumping at every sound. Within a few days I was calling him from our front door to see him sprinting across the road, tail in the air, chatting back to me as he came, I sat on our door step talking to him as he ate. My husband Nick, kept a distance indoors at feeding time but could see the big chap enjoying his food and the occasional tickle on his head. All I needed to do was get Puss Puss to venture in past our front door then I could shut him in and call Julie to take him away.

A couple of weeks passed with Puss Puss daring to put a paw onto our mat then make a hasty retreat, next came all four paws! Curiosity got the better of him: after his dinner he ventured past me as I sat on the step, with his belly on the ground and ears at attention he stealthily crept, in slow motion past the inner door and into the hallway, scanning every inch as he went. I didn’t dare breath for frightening him back out: the trap was set. A thought ran through my head ‘do I wait to see if he will go further in or do I risk moving to shut the door, sealing his fate?’ I decided to reach for the inner door: my muscle barely tensed before he was back out like a shot! He had a reprieve once more.

It was not difficult to regain Puss Puss’ trust as food is his highest priority, the next day he was waiting for his breakfast by the garden gate. I sat talking to him whilst he ate when Nick crept carefully into the porch to say hello to him. Puss Puss was not phased, giving him a quick glance between mouthfuls. Nick watched him eat and said ‘He’s quite cute really isn’t he?’ That was it, I knew then no matter what I said about Puss Puss’ bullying tendencies towards our Harry cat or how he would benefit from being an only cat in a new home, Puss Puss was coming to stay! …..Watch out Harry!!


Titan's Tale - Kindle / PC book

No comments: